Sunday 9 September 2012

Quote is a verb

In grade ten my English teacher brought to my attention the fact that nearly everyone on the face of this planet incorrectly uses the word quote. I don't know how many of my classmates this affected but ever since the incorrect usage of the word has really bothered me.  The phrase: "Inspirational Quotes"  is a fairly popular one. It should be "Inspirational Quotations". Quote is a verb and quotation is a noun. It's as simple as that. The thing that really bothers me is that it seems as though certain people have just accepted the fact that the word is constantly used incorrectly and refuse to correct it. I don't want to come across as arrogant (I've probably made grammatical errors in this post) but it just seems ridiculous to me that so many people just blatantly use the word incorrectly. I can forgive most people because they probably don't realize that they're doing it. However, when I see it being misused in newspapers and magazines by people who have been educated in the English language at a high level, I can't help but be bothered. Just because most people use it incorrectly doesn't mean it should be accepted. It's ridiculous. Someone once told me that the correct pronunciation of the word milk was meelk. Made me laugh but maybe I just live in the after effects of a word that was changed due to the majority pronouncing it wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment